Sunday, January 29, 2012

Your Baby Needs Clothes On!!!

What is it with older women (talking about 60 +) and babies being cold?  Babies are not little, fragile, old women.  They are usually very healthy things.  My son can be dressed for the weather and still wake up with a sweaty back.  He's hot-natured like his parents.  We both sweat when we sleep no matter what the temperature is.

One lovely 83 degree TEXAS day in December (I was wearing a tank top and jeans and Brooks was wearing a long-sleeved [not long-legged] onesie and socks) I was out at my favorite store, Tar-shey, when I encountered a lady I've known for years.  I hadn't seen her in a long time and it was the first time that she met Brooks.  The conversation went like this:

Me: "Hey!  How are you? 
Her: "Hey girl, oh, look at Mr. Brooks!  Isn't he sweet?"  
        Then she looks at Brooks (I'm rhythmic).
Her to Brooks: Oh, sweety!  (touches and rubs his little sweet legs in an effort to warm them up) "Are your little legs cold?"

I ignored it because I pick my battles.  In my head, I rolled my eyes.

True Facts:

  • A friend of mine was told by a random woman passing by her in a parking lot:  "You need to put more clothes on that baby."  
  • I once saw someone have a blanket on a 4 month old in July (at least 95 degrees in Texas)

So, NO!  He is not cold.  It is 83 degrees outside, not windy, just still heat accompanied by his friend humidity.  He is NOT cold!!  Why do these people think all babies are cold, little non-thriving, weak, delicate beings?  I don't get it.  They are robust and resilient!

My husbands sweet grandma loves to cuddle our hot son in her sweaters.  That's the first thing she does when she gets a hold of him.  This also covers him in the scent of bengay (which I LOVE!).  Old people keep their homes warm anyway so I am 100% certain that he is not cold when he is up in her crib but I just let her do it because its it makes her feel better.  In addition, the first thing she said when she held Brooks for the first time was: "I think he's hungry."  Which brings me to the second part.

Hubby's Gma is also a woman who believes all children should be drinking whole milk by 6 weeks old and eating mashed potatoes.  Every time we see her she asks if he's on whole milk yet and how well does he take to water. She is worried he is not getting enough water. Wha??  I'm doing neither and I tell her this, every time.  I say that he is on formula and there is water in his formula because I mix it. Obviously whole milk, mashed potatoes, and water worked for her because she birthed 5 children and all of them are grown ups now.  I, however, like to take advantage of modern times and listen to what my pediatrician says and I'm pretty sure his formula has more stuff for him than just regular ol' whole milk.  

So basically, pre-Brooks, I thought that I was just going to be pissed every time someone voiced their parenting advice and opinions but I've surprised myself and remained calm and seemingly cooperative (as though I am going to use it).  I thought I was going to have to say "I KNOW, DAMN IT!  I have a degree in Human Development!" all the time, but I don't.  I know what I'm doing but I don't feel that urge, either.  Having Brooks has really brought patience.  I didn't just get a beautiful, bouncing, fantastic baby boy on Sep. 28, I also received a great dose of patience that day.  That's a miracle in itself.

I still just wish I knew why everyone older than 60 thinks that all babies are cold.  They aren't.  The End.




2 comments:

  1. it's true about gaining patience! i am amazed at how much i can tolerate now, things i never would have before. and i get the exact same thing about dressing Maddox. he does not like to be hot so i dress him so that doesn't happen. i see the looks when i take him out not wearing 5 layers of clothing plus tons of blankets like i see other mothers doing. i know it's cold in Boston but MY BABY likes things a certain way and dammit i'm going to make him happy and comfortable!

    ReplyDelete