Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Rant - Your Actions, Your Responsibility

When you wake up in the morning and make the decision to get out of bed, that is YOUR decision.  You made the choice yourself.  Its no ones fault you pulled your lifeless body up and flopped out.  And even if someone did drag you out of bed, you still got up but you could have just laid there and said, "Ef it."  If you were at my house though, you'd jump up real quick because you wouldn't want the dog/cat/my hair all over you because I don't clean house. <---See.  I totally just took responsibility for my lack of cleaning.

I am so sick of people, especially this generation, not being responsible for their actions.  There is always an excuse or someone else to blame.  I learned that I was responsible for my actions a long time ago but it really sunk in when I got too many tardies in high school for poor time management.  I was a pee-er.  Anyone who knows me knows that my bladder is smaller than my 4 month old's.  I have to pee.  All.  The. Time.  It's fact.

The Asst. Principal didn't care that I had to pee when I was sitting in his office trying to explain why I was always late to class.  Apparently, I was supposed to plan my day around my bladder.  I was supposed to carry 7 period's worth of books and binders in my back pack so I could stop in the bathroom instead of by my locker and then proceed to class on time.  My 17-year-old brain didn't get this but I never blamed anyone.  Obviously I had to do something about it and my social life suffered.....no it didn't.

One of my former students was just bitching tonight because he was walking in a parking lot and someone's car had a piece of metal hanging off of it and it snagged his jacket.  He thinks this person owes him a new jacket.  Maybe if he had watched where he was going, then his little jacket would still be in one piece.   If I could tell this group of youngsters something that would actually stick-- I would tell them to suck it up and DEAL with it.  Shit happens and that's just it-- It happens.  Urbody wanna sue!  If I was walking in a store and I tripped because I just plain tripped, I wouldn't sue the store.  I just wouldn't.

Now, last month, I was at the awesome  Red Bulls-eye Store  (can I use store names in blogs?) and when I rolled up into the checkout lane. I was busy biting baby feetsies and making growling sounds (at the baby, not other customers) to realize that my cart and my shoes and the bottom of my jeans were hanging out in a large 4X4 puddle of spilled milk.  When I noticed it, I said, "Oh wow.  I didn't even see this."  The lady in front of me said, "Oh, I didn't either."  First of all...... I suppose this is because my parents raised me with manners, I would have said something to someone about to walk all up in a puddle of milk.  She apparently didn't have decent parents or she just got fed up with the world and doesn't believe in common courtesy anymore (can you blame her?).  Anyway, when I got to the cashier, I mentioned the puddle of milk and she said, "Oh, no one clean dat up yet?"  No call to anyone.  A little irritated, I just went to the customer service desk after I paid and explained that there was spilled milk, a large puddle of it, and it seems as though no one is worried about cleaning it up. They asked several questions.  I felt like I was very clear, but that's nothing new.  I'd play dumb if I made minimum wage, too.

Ok, the point of that whole thing was if I had slipped and busted my ass in the milk, I'd probably expect a gift card but I still wouldn't sue.  Why?  Because shit happens.  The End.

No comments:

Post a Comment